Spelling pronunciation spot-check

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 16 18:29:25 UTC 2006

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> CNN anchor Carol Lin clearly pronounces the "L" in "calm."

Do you mean she has a "clear L"? If so, that *would* be weird. An
ordinary, post-vocalic dark L, now that sounds normal to me.

>   The pitchwoman for Red Lobster in a current commercial does the same for "salmon." (Like "salmonella." Folk etymology?)

I have a vague recollection of this being regional, but what region it's
found in, I couldn't say. Sometime in the past 30 years, though, I saw a
PEAS-like map of where consonantal L in "salmon" is attested.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963