"Stayed" > "stood"

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 17 21:30:02 UTC 2006

Joe Jacobs, the boxing guy, at the baseball World Series.
--Barrry Popik

-----Original Message-----
From: hwgray at GMAIL.COM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 4:46 PM
Subject: Re: "Stayed" > "stood"

Yeah, I remember that, too. It goes way back, like to the '40's, as
something that was said by a Jewish comedian(?). I can't recall
whether it was a catch-phrase or merely a one-time thing that became
famous.

Oddly enough, I had no idea that the phrase was not standard. As a
consequence, I could never figure out what it was supposed to mean or
why it was supposed to be funny. Then, when I was in the Army Reserve
in the '60's, a fellow black Reservist said to me, "When I was at Fort
Polk, man, I STOOD in New Orleans!" And the scales fell from the eyes
of my internal grammar.

[For movie buffs, Truman van Dyke was our commanding officer.]

-Wilson

On 8/17/06, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
> Sender: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Jim Parish <jparish at SIUE.EDU>
> Subject: Re: "Stayed" > "stood"
>
> Wilson Gray wrote:
>
> > Heard on the Judge Joe Brown Show
> >
> > Two young people of Puerto-Rican extraction from NJ, ex-boyfriend and
> > ex-girlfriend, keep using "stood" - You stood at yo' brothuh house!
> > No! You stood at yo' mothuh house! - for "stayed." The girlfriend also
> > says, "If I had known about hah [his other girlfriend], I'd-a BIN lef'
> > you!" The boyfriend also uses "ch" for "sh," though his speech is
> > otherwise not unusual.
> >
> > A black woman standing as witness for the girlfriend uses "stayed,"
> > despite the use of "stood" by her friends.
>
> I seem to recall the words "I shoulda stood in bed!", attributed, I think,
> to a baseball player. Yogi? Dizzy? Somebody of that general type.
>
> Jim Parish

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass