A new word?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Aug 18 15:25:10 UTC 2006

A karate chop is not administered with the foot.  As expected, that's referred to as a kick (e.g., side-kick, front kick).

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Barbara Need
Sent: Fri 8/18/2006 7:17 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: A new word?

For the record, I know nothing about the martial arts, but I had
always assumed that a "rabbit punch" was to the kidneys--which is not
the (stereo)typical place for a karate chop. (Can "karate chops" be
done with the foot? Or rather, can you call a karate blow with the
foot a "chop"? If so, that would allow a karate chop to the kidneys.)

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago

<snip>