Bald-headed stepchild

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 20 15:26:01 UTC 2006

The USA Today weekend supplement, that the New Haven Register thinks is
superior to Parade magazine (bitter, moi?), has a joint interview with
Spike Lee and Douglas Brinkley about New Orleans post Katrina (Lee has a
movie on this and Brinkley a book). The interview is at
<http://usaweekend.com/06_issues/060820/060820katrina.html>. About 1
screen down, Lee refers to FEMA as a "bald-headed stepchild" (presumably
in the universe of government agencies, specifically Homeland Security).
While this is obviously a variant of "red-headed stepchild", also a
semantically appropriate phrase, I was curious whether it was an
established expression that had previously escaped my notice or a nonce
creation by Lee. Googling on the phrase "bald-headed stepchild" gives
518 hits, including the on-line USA Weekend. There is a meta-discussion
at <http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18111> that
doesn't shed much light, as it mostly involves the more common
"red-headed stepchild". In addition, some of the hits refer to a
specific eBay seller whose screen name is "bald headed stepchild".

Most of the dated non-meta hits are from late 2005 or 2006, but I did