blamed

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 20 16:35:29 UTC 2006

Not used in whippersnapperdom, but widely known.

  Not in HDAS because not "slangy" enough (a judgment call indeed).

  OED, calling _blamed_ "dial. and U.S.," defines it as equivalent to "blasted," but none of its exx. (starting in 1840)  take the form "blamed if...."

  JL
Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: blamed

I've heard (probably used) "blamed" in that sense since my (East Texas) childhood in the 1950s/1960s. I believe my assumption has always been that it somehow derives from the fuller (though still minced) curse "dadblame it"--which is surely based on "goddamn it," though I can't quite imagine the evolutionary process in phonological or semantic terms. "Dad" representing "God the Father"?? (I hardly think so!)

--Charlie