Agnotology

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 23 02:44:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> New to me in my studied ignorance, but it seems to date back at least
> to a book review in Science magazine in January 2005.  I wonder
> whether it was coined by Proctor in the call for papers for an
> October 7 and 8, 2005, conference at Stanford, "Agnotology: The
> Cultural Production of Ignorance", co-organized by him.

The New York Times

June 14, 2003 Saturday

SECTION: Section B; Column 5; Arts & Ideas/Cultural Desk; Pg. 7

Mr. Proctor, who describes his specialty as "agnotology, the study of
ignorance," argues that the tobacco industry has tried to give the
impression that the hazards of cigarette smoking are still an open
question even when the scientific evidence is indisputable.

Fred Shapiro