Bizarre Google search results (was RE: The not-so-slow death of truthiness?)

Clai Rice cxr1086 at LOUISIANA.EDU
Wed Aug 23 18:11:35 UTC 2006

Following up on truthiness in google groups searches, I've had a bizarre
result. From the advanced search page, truthiness -colbert lang=English
display 50 hits per page by date no date limit, returns 1,290 hits:
 Results 1 - 50 of 1,290 for truthiness -  colbert (1.98 seconds)

Then I go to the last display page (to see the earliest uses):
 Results 201 - 211 of 211 for truthiness -  colbert (0.61 seconds)

So are there 211 or 1290 hits? At the bottom of the last page I click on
"repeat the search with the omitted results included." and get
 Results 1 - 50 of 1,580 for truthiness -  colbert (0.57 seconds) !

I navigate to the last display page using the Gooooogle bar at the
bottom, either going directly to number 10 or descending one page at a
time, and when I arrive at display page 9 I see:
 Results 401 - 410 of 410 for truthiness -  colbert (1.10 seconds)

So how many results are there, 210, 410, 1290, or 1580? The same search
has yielded as few as 980 and as many as 1600 hits, all with the same
display problem--410 is the maximum that are actually displayed.

Does anyone know anything about a usual discrepancy between reported
result counts and number of displyed hits?

Clai Rice