Spelling pronunciation spot-check

Wed Aug 23 19:31:59 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at ohio.edu> wrote:

> I don't know if you're foreign-born, Fritz, but I find my foreign grad
> students regularly pronounce [l] in these words (though less so the 't' in
> 'often').  Generally, I think native-born AmEng speakers (and BritEng too?)
> say [kam], [pam], and [saem at n].

I noticed "salmon" is one of the problematic words listed on the
website for Singapore's "Speak Good English" Movement:

-----
http://www.goodenglish.org.sg/SGEM/engatwork/snd_right.htm
Salmon
In Singapore, people often pronounce the "L" in salmon but in standard
English, the "L" is silent so it sounds like "samon".
-----

--Ben Zimmer