Heard on "The People's Court"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 24 23:20:28 UTC 2006

Uh, I think that I'm missing your point. My point is that "He came at
me with a gun" is necessarily threatening, whereas "He came to me with
a gun" is not necessarily threatening and may be totally
non-threatening.

As a consequence, failing to distinguish between, e.g. "My sister came
_at_ me (to do me harm)" from "My sister came _to_ me (to ask me a
favor)" impoverishes the language.

In my part of Texas, FWIW, forms like "holler at" (with the same
meanings that it has in hip-hop slang) and "listen at" (in place of
mainstream "listen to") are "standard," so to speak, in the local
dialect of BE. Of course, "holler, listen, yell, talk" are not verbs
of motion and are, therefore, irrelevant.

-Wilson