The not-so-slow death of truthiness?

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 28 17:47:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Steve Kl. wrote:

> Truthiness is extremely mediagenic and garnered more publicity for the ADS
> and the WoTY than I'd ever seen. (Do we know if this resulted in an uptick
> in memberships, by the way?)

For the benefit of truthimetricians, here are the month-by-month figures
for _truthiness_ hits in LexisNexis:

2005
Oct.    9
Nov.    3
Dec.    4

2006
Jan.    96
Feb.    59
Mar.    49
Apr.    33
May     74
June    39
July    17
Aug.    20  (as of Aug. 28)

This seems to be an example of the observation (WOTY vote) having a clear
impact on the phenomenon observed.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS