"in love at first sight with"

Nathan Bierma nbierm65 at CALVIN.EDU
Mon Aug 28 22:16:54 UTC 2006

On the Emmy's last night when one of the original Charlie's Angels described
Aaron Spelling as someone she fell "in love at first sight with," it sounded
unusual to me to place the "with" after "at first sight." (I'm no persecutor of
preposition stranders; it just sounded like an unusual placement.)

A quick and dirty investigation (Googling), however, yields:

 about 35,800 for "in love at first sight with"

 about 896 for "in love with at first sight"

So I guess it's Charlie's Angels 1, My Intuitions, 0 -- but does that sound
less intuitive to anyone else?

Nathan Bierma
"On Language"
Chicago Tribune