"precedures" and "bullets"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 29 17:02:50 UTC 2006

The context and enunciation gave no evidence of this being a speech error or slip of the tongue. Had it appeared so, I wouldn't have brought it to the attention of the list.

  Nor do the 100,000 hits on "precedure/s" suggest "speech errors."

  If, as I suggested, the word is a novel term-of-art meaning something like "preliminary procedures," well and good.

  If, however, it represents a widespread hypercorrect "spelling pronunciation" of a foolish misspelling based on a defective familiarity with the elementary English word "procedure, it is dead wrong as well as confusing. I don't see it as comparable to the use, for example, of the article "a" before a vowel, which is not a stupidism. It doesn't suggest an ignorance of basic vocabulary and has no bearing whatsoever on meaning.

  I'm sure I have uttered stupidisms of my own, but that doesn't justify their existence. Stupidisms deserve to be "gotcha'd."

  JL