zitful

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 29 18:49:45 UTC 2006

It reminds me of the reverse phenomenon among my student assistants in
my library days. Hearing them say "(re)shelf," etc. books instead of
"(re)shelve," etc. books used to grate on my nerves. When I discussed
it with them, they seemed surprised that there was already a word that
means "(re)place books onto a shelf" and that they didn't need to
invent one.

-Wilson

On 8/7/06, Mark A. Mandel <mamandel at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: zitful
>
> By the way, did anyone notice the back-formed singular "scarve" in one of
> Gerald's Google hits? Twice, emphasis added:
>
> Quote from: ~littledaydream~ on February 05, 2005, 10:51:09 AM
> <http://always.ejwsites.net/YaBBSE/index.php?action=display;board=16;threadid=25531;start=
> 0#msg814630>
>
> my cap with an included **scarve** (the ending of the cap is so long that it
> can be used as a
> **scarve**). It is very colourful, every colour of the rainbow, it is warm
> and cosy, and it is
> funny.  Not sure whether you can imagine it though   But I love it.
> And my other hat. I love hats and caps and all that stuff.
>
> -- Mark
> [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]

-Wilson
––
Everybody says, "How hard it is that we have to die"––a strange
complaint to come from the mouths of people who have had to live.

--Sam Clemens