"due to" and "general"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 29 22:19:39 UTC 2006

There was some discussion a few months back about attorneys-general being addressed as "General."  Catherine Crier, formerly a state judge in Texas, addressed the Attorney-General of Utah as "General" on her Court TV show this evening. Tsk.

  A satirical piece by George Saunders in the Aug. 28 _New Yorker_, written in the _persona_ of  Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, contains this clause:

  "We shall them [viz., women] 'those who are dangerous to see, due to they are nasty'" (p. 36).

  I have seen this "due to" in freshman writing used as a synonym for "because; for the reason that" (as distinct from "because of"), but OED doesn't include it.

  JL