The not-so-slow death of truthiness?

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Aug 30 02:35:51 UTC 2006

  dave at wilton.net

From: Dave Wilton [mailto:dave at wilton.net]
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 6:14 PM
To: 'American Dialect Society'
Subject: RE: The not-so-slow death of truthiness?

Jan.    41
Feb.    77
Mar.    45
Apr.    43
May     42
Jun.    54
Jul.    38
Aug.    68 (through 17 Aug.)

I would attribute the spike in LexisNexis as due to news coverage of the
initial WOTY vote, followed by a rapid fading in news coverage as the
novelty wore off. The steady rate of approx. 45/month in Google Groups is
probably due to that medium being more prone to slang usage than the edited
pieces in LexisNexis.

I wish Technorati allowed you to sort results by date. Use of "truthiness"
is rampant in the blogosphere--over 8,000 hits, with over 4,000 for
"truthiness NOT colbert".

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net