wreak/wreck

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Aug 30 12:15:52 UTC 2006

Young children often etymologize "tyrannosaurus rex" as "dinosaur that wrecks things"; they do so independently, so it isn't technically a "folk" etymology.

"Wreck" and "wreak," however, are practically the same word, historically--perhaps differentiated (in pronunciation and spelling), long ago, in parallel with the noun/verb distinction?

--Charlie