"My very educated mother just served us nine pickles" (1966)

Thu Aug 31 16:45:59 UTC 2006

"Uncle Ray's Corner" Winnipeg | Manitoba Free Press | 1929-12-11 p. 22

"Here is a way to remember the names of those planets in the order of
their distance from the sun.  Repeat this sentence:  MEN VERY EARLY MADE
JARS STAND UP NEATLY."

"Strange as it Seems" by John Hix
California | Oakland | Oakland Tribune | 1933-03-29 p. 7
"It is as easy to remember the names of the planets in order of their
distance from the sun, as to remember a name. VEM J. SUN represents
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune;
Mercury being the nearest to the sun."

Title:  Calendar Mnemonics and Mnemonic Calendars
Authors:  White, C. E.
Publication:  Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, Vol.
36, p.133
Publication Date:  04/1942
"In astronomy we have the name M. Vem J. Sun which assists in
remembering the names of the planets and their order from the sun."

"Names of the Planets."
Warren | Warren Evening Mirror | 1917-10-15 p. 8
"Mr. Ellison Hawkes in a little book about the stars tells how you can
easily remember the names of the planets
in the, proper order, beginning with the one that is nearest to the sun.
He has made a sentence the words of which begin with the same letters as
the names of the planets in this order. The sentence is: Men Very Easily
Make Jugs Serve Useful Needs. The names of the planets are:  Mercury,
Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune."

"On the House" by Charles House
| Wisconsin | Appleton | Appleton Post-Crescent | 1961-01-06 p. A12
"One can remember the order of the planets, starting from the sun, by
using this method:  "Men Very Early Made Jars Store Up New Potatoes." .
. .  .Take the first letter of each word in this sentence, says Miss
Birgin, and you're okay:  "Mark's Very Extravagent Mother Just Sent Us
Ninety Parakeets."

"Ask Marilyn" Marily Vos Savant
Parade Magazine  2000-01-23 p. 6
"It goes <i> Mankind's Verdant Earth Must Journey (as a) Star Unites
Nine Planets."

"Letters to the Editor" J. B. Sykes, Times of London Dec 05, 1962; pg.
13
"May I mention one for the order of the major planets outward from the
Sun, which might prove more useful in this cosmonautical age:  "Many
Volcanoes Erupt Mulberry Jam Sandwiches Under Normal Pressure."