Overheard on the local FOX news:

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIO.EDU
Mon Dec 4 05:12:18 UTC 2006

And overheard today on our favorite prescriptive network, NPR:  A woman has
written a book on the value of diagramming sentences in school--the old
way, of course, horizontally, with angled lines shooting off
everywhere.  Why valuable?  Because it might teach students to write
"accurately," instead of merely "expressing their feelings."  Why there is
an assumed dichotomy between these two is beyond me.  But no doubt this is
why Faulkner is almost "impossible" to diagram.  And of course Scott Simon
(who followed  with something like "with whom we deal with") just thought
she was marvelous. Sigh.