saving the world

Mon Dec 4 16:01:09 UTC 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 7:18 AM, Joel Shaver wrote:

> I humbly beg for consideration to be made for the poor student who is
> not a dues-paying member but who is content to listen and learn (aside
> from making the odd clumsy post or two)...  I hope I speak on the
> behalf
> of more than myself.

there are any number of reasons why someone might want to subscribe
to the ADS-L but not join the ADS, or vice versa.  certainly, i'd
want to encourage students to hang out on the list, and join the
society when they can afford to.

actually, i've had a lot of success in encouraging students to join
the society -- so much so that i haven't nominated anyone for
Presidential Honorary Member, since all my potential candidates for
the honor had already joined the society!

arnold