Page's colorful phrase

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 5 00:20:28 UTC 2006

HDAS II has the related "ass-deep to a tall Indian" from 1939, s.v. "Indian" because of the predominance in the corpus of "hip-deep" and "hip-high" forms.

  The precise version recalled by Page's father is a new one on me.

  HDAS 1 also contains an entry for "asshole-deep" all by itself, but only from 1963. Whippersnappin' lurkers may like to know that graphic phrases like these, no matter how metaphorical, were proportionally much scarcer in print before the early 1960s, owing mostly to concerns about propriety.  I have little doubt that "ass-deep" (1950) and "asshole-deep" are considerably older in crude use than the record suggests.

  Google reveals the following current forms:

  "asshole-deep to a big, tall Indian" [mommascorner.com/index/momma/comments/thanksgiving1/]

  "...to a ten-foot Indian" [members.aol.com/GLKS/colloq.html]

  "...nine-foot Indian" [http://groups.google.com/group/alt.smokers.pipes/msg/e674f8f2dee91670?hl=en&]

  "...tall Indian" [ask.metafilter.com/mefi/49829]

  "...ten-foot man" [abreazylife.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_abreazylife_archive.html]

  "...giraffe" [bike-riding-donut-guy.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_bike-riding-donut-guy_archive.html]  (elsewhere "tall giraffe," "giraffe on steroids")

  "...very tall grizzly" [http://groups.google.com/group/talk.politics.guns/msg/064e920f17e0de01?hl=en&]

  "ass-deep to a tall Paiute" [www.kellnet.com/veterans/jm.htm] (elsewhere "Indian")

  "...tall Swede" [barkbarkwoofwoof.blogspot.com/2004/12/sunday-reading_12.html]

  "...tall nigger" [caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=6th&navby=case&no=99a0326a]

  "...tall horse" [www.textfiles.com/media/mov_goof.txt]

  "...tall injun standing on a pine stump" [searcyyesteryear.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_searcyyesteryear_archive.html]

  "...nine-foot Indian" [facelessknob.blogspot.com/2005/02/floaters.html]

  JL

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Pt.1

  My formerly reliable memory tells me that the horse-opera use of "yeeha(w)" was something like "giddyup," but applicable to bovine situationsas well.  That might explain the "yeeha(w)" in _Red River_, assuming it's really in the scene in question.

  A cattle-managing "yeeha(w)" is of interest too. But what I'm thinking of, specifically, is the "yeeha(w)" that means "My visceral reaction to this situation is exceedingly positive !"  Cattle and other quadrupeds are not usually present when "yeeha(w)" is currently exclaimed, though they are never ruled out.

  Can anyone adduce a cinematic, musical, literary, or real-world yeeha(w)" in the current sense earlier than 1975 ?

  Pt. 2

  Allen Walker Read probed to determine the precise sound of "the rebel yell" in an article published in _AS_ during the CW Centennial, "The Rebel Yell as Linguistic Problem" 36,(May, 1961)  83-92. My faulty recollection (cf. above) conflated Read's pioneering work with a couple of follow-ups, "A Footnote on the Rebel Yell," by M. B. Darwin, 38,  (Autumn, 1973), 303-04, and "More on the Rebel Yell" by "Quidnunc," 54 (Spring, 1979), 60.

  Read's findings may be summarized as follows:

  1. Confederate soldiers in Northern Virgina often uttered a sound that a veteran English war correspondent described in 1861 as "a shrill ringing scream with a touch of the Indian war-whoop in it."  He noted hyperbolically that "certainly the Southern soldiers cannot cheer."

  2. An English military observer noted shortly after the Battle of Gettysburg that Confederate soldiers "always yell in a manner peculiar to themselves. The Yankee cheer is much more like ours." He refrred to the sounds as "the Rebel yell."

  3. A number of other observers in various parts of the South, mostly Northerners, commented on the peculiar quality of rebel yelling during and shortly after the Civil War.  It was compared to a kind of "Indian war-whoop" and a "wolf-howl."

  4. An ancient veteran demonstrated his "rebel yell" to an assemblage of re-enactors in 1935.
  An ear witness explained that it came out as "wahHOOOOOeeeee!"  He said, "Considering the frailty of its source, it was an unbelievable yell....It had a keening, ululant quality that raised the hackles on my neck." It took the writer and the other ersatz rebels "a few weeks" of practice to get the yell right.

  5. A Confederate veteran, writing in 1892, rendered the yell as "Woh-who-ey! Who-ey! Who-ey! Woh-who-ey !" Rather like the 1935 demonstration.  Another veteran, writing in 1905, preferred "Yai! Yai! Yi! Yai! Yi!"  (A different set of sounds, but still not "Yeeha[w]!")

  Darwin 1973 makes the interesting suggesting that the stereotypical yell was inspired by fox-hunting cries and the howling of hunting dogs.  "Quidnunc" discovered that the suggestion had been made independently, by H. Allen Smith, as early as 1954.

  None of the three "rebel yell" scholars mentions a "Yee-ha(w)!," That indiricetly supports my contention that its current use entered the repertoire of "wow-like" sounds circa 1970.

  Does country-western deserve the credit ?  (I inadvertently omitted "yippee!" from my childhood knowledge of yee-ha(w)-like joyus interjections.)

  JL