TV Words

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed Dec 6 17:22:06 UTC 2006

I assume that's the same -ma- that occurs in "thimgamajig" and "thingamabob"--perhaps from the similar syllable in "whatyamacallit," which does (or did) have semantic content as "may"?

OED (s.v. "thingumbob") has:  "1870 M. BRIDGMAN Rob. Lynne II. v. 107 We're going to try him for thingamobob--bigamy."  But no explanation (that I can discover) for -ma-/-mo-.

--Charlie