Origin of "flamer"?

Pam Norton pcnorton at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 14 06:54:42 UTC 2006

Hi,
   My 19 year old daughter has just informed me that there is a term "flamer," not referring to flaming on the internet, but referring to gay people. I have never heard of this, although I have heard of "flaming" as an adjective equivalent of "flamboyant". She swears this is "old" usage, e.g. from the '80's. I can see how this meaning would develop but does anyone know the origin (and is it from the 80's?). I can't believe I've never heard of this, so my feeling is that it's got to be something from her generation. True?

Thanks,

Pam Norton