Nobody's Perfect Dept.

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Dec 18 13:49:46 UTC 2006

Surely the pronunciation of "cock" with the BACK vowel is the
movement of the HOT vowel into the space previously occupied by the
BACK vowel as that vowel raises in many northern speech areas,
phonetically conditioned in the East, rather freer in the Upper
Midwest (the "Northern Cities [Chain] Shift"). If that is so (and I
am unfamiliar with any emerging pronunciation  of "cock" with the
BACK vowel outside this system-changing scenario), then it is not
parallel to the "shit"/"shite" example and portends no merger of
HOT/BACK either.

dInIs

>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>
>Thanks, Scott. But please don't consider the vulgarity "gratuitous":
>the example in question is both familiar and apposite.
>
>   JL
>
>Scot LaFaive <spiderrmonkey at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Scot LaFaive
>Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>
>Personally, I love gratuitous vulgarity. It's fuckin' awesome.
>As for his definition, I agree with it. I think his examples of "shit" and
>"shite" strongly support it. For another example, how about /kak/ (cock) and
>/kaek/ (cock). The latter seems to have come about in the last 10 years,
>based on my personal experience.
>Scot
>

>>From: Tom Zurinskas
>>To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>>Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>>Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:49:24 +0000

>>-----------------------
>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>Poster: Tom Zurinskas
>>Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>>
>>Lighter,
>>
>>Knock off the gratuitous vulgarity. It demeans us all. It's almost
>>bullyish.
>>
>>Of course your definition of phoneme
>>  >For lurkers, a phoneme is the smallest contrastive notional unit of
>>  >sound that may affect meaning in a given language.
>>is defective. Where did you get it? Did you make it up.
>>
>>Substitute "does" for "may" and you come up with something that you express
>>as relevant to minimum pairs below.
>>
>>The two definitions that were given here by you are substantially different
>>from each other. The other was "A phoneme is the smallest significant
>>unit
>>in language". This one I like.
>>Do you have any more?
>>
>>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL4+
>>See truespel.com and the 4 truespel books at authorhouse.com.
>>

>>  >From: Jonathan Lighter
>>  >To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
>>  >Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>>  >Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:27:34 -0800
>>  >
>>  >---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>  >-----------------------
>>  >Sender: American Dialect Society
>>  >Poster: Jonathan Lighter
>>  >Subject: Re: Nobody's Perfect Dept.
>>  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  >
>>  >Scott, phonemes _must_ create a difference in meaning only in a minimal
>>  >pair. Otherwise they don't have to. "Gorse" and "furze" are exact
>>synonyms
>>  >in English, yet except for / r /, their phonemes are entirely
>>contrastive.
>>  >
> [...]

Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor