Fwd: Help for a meaning

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 6 22:14:19 UTC 2006

This is apparently a fantasy book, so the word might just be a coinage of the
author's, and refer to a role that she made up for the book. Although I would
expect the author to have give more evidence about the meaning if this were the
case.  The book is set in a mythological China (or something like that), so
another possibility is that there's a Chinese term that has the meaning the
author intended (midwife or whatever), but which is composed of elements that
individually can mean "still" and "woman", and the author for whatever reason
chose to translate the elements of the word, rather than its meaning. I don't
know Chinese, so I have no idea if such a compound might exist.

That's my two WAGs worth, anyway.

Jeff Prucher

--- Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Fwd: Help for a meaning

> FWIW, here's the author's Website:
>
> www.harpercollins.com/authorintro/ index.asp?authorid=27769
>
> It didn't help me any, but who knows?
>
> -Wilson
>
> On 2/6/06, sagehen <sagehen at westelcom.com> wrote:
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
> > Subject:      Re: Fwd: Help for a meaning

> > >Can anyone help her?

) to becoming the healer and stillwoman of her

http://mail.yahoo.com