"Whaddya, whaddya" (1992)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 12 22:23:08 UTC 2006

This gives me an opportunity to put in a plug for Tom Wolfe as a craftsman. The_Rolling Stone_ version of _Bonfire_ is very different from the book. Wolfe rewrote it extensively for book publication, cutting, adding, and revising a surprising amount.

  JL

"Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC"
Subject: Re: "Whaddya, whaddya" (1992)

>> Early "Whaddya, whaddya" citations welcome. HDAS? Was this in some =
movie (as
>> Google Groups indicates)?
>
>It's associated with the book _Bonfire of the Vanities_.
>
>Jesse Sheidlower
>OED
=20
Amazon.com's Search Inside the Book feature is helpful . . . . .

_Bonfire of the Vanities_, Tom Wolfe . Farrar, Straus and Giroux; =
Updated edition (November 1, 1990) (first book publication 1987, first =
serial publication in Rolling Stone, 1984) p. 35

"It was the primordial shrug of the New York streets, the look that =
said, "Egggh, whaddaya? Whaddaya want from me?" "

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, Book 3) by Stephen King on Page 172: =
Signet (September 1, 2003) (originally published 1991)
" "Hey! Whaddaya-whaddaya?" the driver yelled, but Jake ignored him. "
=20
We're No Angels: A Screenplay (Paperback)
by David Mamet Grove/Atlantic; 1st ed edition (May 1, 1990) (movie =
released 1989) page 72.
"JIM: Hell, whaddaya, whaddaya, Neddy. We're not going back. "

 Yahoo! Mail