"Puck" (hockey, 1886)

Benjamin Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Mon Feb 13 05:20:16 UTC 2006

On 2/12/06, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:37:55PM -0500, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
> > What does the revised OED have? The old OED has 1891, but I can look at
> > better sources.
> Coincidentally, I just worked on this entry last week, and found
> the same source.

And there's this from the previous month:

1886 _Boston Daily Globe_ 28 Feb. 2/5 In hockey a flat piece of
rubber, say four inches long by three wide and about an inch thick,
called a "puck," is used. The "puck," being flat, clings to the floor,
and does not admit of being lifted into the air.
[HNP Doc ID 713119342]

--Ben Zimmer

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list