"Puck" (hockey, 1886)

Benjamin Zimmer bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Mon Feb 13 05:31:41 UTC 2006

On 2/12/06, Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> And there's this from the previous month:
> 1886 _Boston Daily Globe_ 28 Feb. 2/5 In hockey a flat piece of
> rubber, say four inches long by three wide and about an inch thick,
> called a "puck," is used. The "puck," being flat, clings to the floor,
> and does not admit of being lifted into the air.
> [HNP Doc ID 713119342]

Which I now see is just an earlier version of the article that Barry
gave. Both were probably cribbing from the same source. (The Nat.
Police Gazette article suggests the source might be a book called _The
Sporting Man's Companion_-- at least the book is mentioned at the end
of the article. The Globe gives no attribution.)

--Ben Zimmer

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list