Wrap = "Wind, Reel and Print" (and variants)

Mon Feb 27 14:06:43 UTC 2006

Bonnie wrote:

Here's a bit of faux etymology to follow up Ben Zimmer's earlier look at
"it's a wrap" (see [1] and [2], below).  I've recently learned that there is
an impression that "wrap" (in movie-industry parlance) is an acronym, with
roots in the old days of film-making.
        [...]
 The earliest vectoring that I can find of "wrap" as an acronym appeared in
1997 (see [3], below).  (I've also tacked on a few representative sightings,
all from British sources, that have appeared since.)
 <<<<<

"Vectoring": Veering off course? A nice application. Have I simply happened
to miss this one?

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]