Carcasting

Tom Vincent tomrvincent at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 13 17:09:28 UTC 2006

Greetings to the list!

The car ahead of me has a portable satellite radio or MP3 player playing through the car stereo via an FM transmitter (instead of a direct feed) set to 88.1, same as the Baltimore NPR station I'm listening to...well, was until I approach this other car and I'm now hearing some XM traffic report instead.  I have an FM transmitter and know that the default frequency is 88.1 and suspect that purchasers just rarely bother to change it to something else.

I pass the car and the 'carcasting' (my term for it) ends.  The 'carcasting' doesn't seem to be able to get through the (literal) firewall of the other car (my guess).

Is there a different term for this phenomenon?