Dating of "Angels on Horseback"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 17 19:46:56 UTC 2006

1886 gets a thank you?
I realize no one (NO ONE!) checks this, the ADS-L archives, not even  the old
ADS-L archives that destroyed so much of my work:
ANGELS ON HORSEBACK & PIG IN A BLANKET--NY DAILY TRIBUNE, 2 April 1882,  pg.
4, col. 4:
OYSTER BLANKET--This is sometimes called in the country "pig  in a blanket."
In England it is considered so good and "earthy" a dish,  that it is
designated "angels on horseback."  It is a new (NEW!--ed.) and  delicious entree,
especially for shy dinner guests who are thankful for  something to talk about in
the first half hour of a dinner party.  Take  twelve or more large-sized
oysters from their shells, removing their beards;  cover each with a very thin
slice of fat of bacon, dipping each slice into hot  water, and well-drying it with
a cloth before rolling it round the oyster; then  place them on a fine skewer
and suspend them before the fire until the bacon is  nicely cooked.  A slice
of soft buttered toast should be under them while  cooking, and on it they
should be sent up very hot to the table.  If not  convenient to cook them before
the fire, they may be broiled on the  gridiron.