Fwd: Call for Proposals

Thomas Paikeday thomaspaikeday at SPRINT.CA
Sat Jan 21 01:49:25 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 7:40 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Call for Proposals

> header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Fwd: Call for Proposals
>
> Could be because you don't shop at Krogers, Meiers, Targets, Sears, etc...
>
> dInIs

I seem to be missing something here. Is "Johns" becoming "John" the same
sort of change as Krogers, etc.? But it's amazing how these new formations
catch on. The last time I checked, "John Hopkins University" had 775,000
googlits, "Johns Hopkins University" 27,600,000. (dInIs, FWIW, I do shop at
Sears. Also Fortinos for groceries).

t.p.