iomega help conversation

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 22 22:46:38 UTC 2006

--- David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       David Bowie <db.list at PMPKN.NET>
> Subject:      Re: iomega help conversation

> From:    "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
>
> > You-all will surely like this. It's for real. (Typos fixed.)
>
> <snip>
>
> > Subject
> > Chat Session
>
> <snip>
>
> > Dennis:  You wrote "need replaced." That is a very limited
> > grammatical construction; it occurs mainly in the Central Midlands
> > (Central Ohio, etc.) of the US...
>
> Maybe it's not so limited any more--my wife's siblings (especially the
> younger ones--it's a family of six kids) use it all the time, much to
> their mother's horror. They're from Maryland, about an hour north of
> Baltimore.

I lived for a few years in Johnstown, Pa. (a part of the country I referred to
as "Darkest Pennsylvania," but firmly in "needs replaced"-land), and I was
surprised at the large number of folks from the Baltimore and DC areas who
would come to the nearby outlet mall in droves of chartered buses.  Perhaps, in
addition to bringing back designer goods at low, low prices, they also brought
back bits of the dialect.  (If your in-laws also say "y'uns", it will only
reinforce my highly scientific theory.)

Jeff Prucher

http://mail.yahoo.com