shit v. shoot [was: Go sit on your East Coast]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 23 22:38:57 UTC 2006

You never can tell about folks. Maya Angelou once wrote that her mother slapped her hard for saying "by and large," because it "meant" "by God !"  which was taking the Lord's name in vain.

  As I've said before, you can't make this stuff up....

  JL

Alan Knutson <boris at TERRACOM.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Alan Knutson
Subject: Re: shit v. shoot [was: Go sit on your East Coast]

Two items, unrelated:

1: Shoot vs shit, a few years ago, here in Madison, I was
arranging the displays in a video store, a shelf fell, I said
"Shoot!" A women standing a few feet from me turned and gave me the
dirtiest look, I'm pretty certain she did not interperet it as an
euphemism.

2: Did anyone watch the "Today" program this past Sunday, in one
segment the weather presenter was talking to a group of women from
Columbus, OH, one woman was trying to greet some individuals. Those she
greeted included Tim and Dog. The reporter than questioned if she
was greeting a pet. "No", she said, "My husband". "Your husband?" asked
the reporter. "Yes," she carefully replied, "My husband, Doug."

Alan K

1/20/2006