"of" = "have"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 26 00:57:36 UTC 2006

It proves impossible to search the archives efficiently for "of," so I apologize if the following adds nothing to the discussion.

  1914 Ring Lardner "Horseshoes" (short story) in _Haircut and Other Stories_ 145 :It would of been a pipe for me to of made good with any of 'em.

  Lardner's story originally appeared in the _Saturday Evening Post_ (Aug. 15, 1914), pp. 8-10, 44-46.

  (Now I see that OED has this verbal "of" from a hundred years earlier. Jeez.)

  JL