Re: masculine/feminine

Fri Jan 27 14:46:25 UTC 2006

"Subjective reality" is exactly what I meant when I said "social reality." My
point was simply as social/subjective reality changes--and I think it is
changing--"masculinity" and "homosexuality" are increasingly divorced. It is
interesting that David mentions WILL & GRACE, which contrasts the stereotypical
queer, Jack, with the quite masculine Will.

My point was simply that, to the extent that "brokeback" is being used
figuratively as an extension of the movie, it would be more appropriate to say that
its meaning is 'homosexual' or 'queer' and not 'lacking in masculinity'.
People who so use the term figuratively may or may not have a view of homosexual
acts as inherently 'lacking in masculinity'. The wonderful real-life citing that
someone sent in the other day about the two guys talking in the gym about
products speaks to the point: the guy was saying, in essence, just because I am
using a product that is "metrosexual" (I guess that term is still used) that
does not mean that I am 'homosexual'--and of course, in the context of a gym,
where men are usually 'masculine' and may very well be 'homosexual', the
comment could scarcely have been taken to mean 'I am not lacking in masculinity'.

This is not to say that some people (particularly those who have not seen the
movie) may not also use the term in the sense that David describes, as an
invocation of the full-blown "Jack" stereotype. Since I doubt seriously that the
term will last--the movie will soon be forgotten by the mass culture, and
there are other, well established words that already adequately cover whatever
semantic range this one has--I doubt that it will go the way of, say, "gay" in
adolescent slang.

The point of my earlier posting was just to suggest what I think is a more
appropriate gloss 'brokeback' and to ask if it was David, or "Boondocks," that
gave the 'lacking in masculinity' gloss.

Somebody ought to put this thread on OUTIL--or is OUTIL dead?