Query: "throw a wobbly" (have a fit)

James Landau jjjrlandau at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Jan 29 18:43:29 UTC 2006

Not all that likely, but a reference to the IWW (Industrial Workers of the
World), commonly known as the "Wobblies"?

-----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
> Subject:      Query: "throw a wobbly" (have a fit)

---

>      One of my students mentioned "throw a wobbly" (= throw a fit).
> She's from Jefferson City, Missouri but isn't sure where she heard the
expression.

>     I see "wobbly" listed in Jonathon Green's _Cassell's Dictionary of
Slang_ with a relevant meaning: "[1930s+] a fit of nerves, of panic, of bad
temper; thus one who has such attacks."  But I never heard of this word
before.

>     Is anyone familiar with this "wobbly" (and "throw a wobbly") in U.S.
usage?