Etymology of the card game "bridge" (1893, 1899)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 8 04:43:56 UTC 2006

FWIW, when I was a student of Russian at the old U.S. Army Language
School, a teacher, who was a native-born Russian, mentioned that there
was a Russian card game called "vint," (cf. "wint" below) which he
said was *like* whist.

Russian "b-r-i-d-zh" is transparently a simple transliteration of
English "bridge." The cluster -dzh- is non-occurrent in native Russian
words. Such a combination immediately marks the word as foreign to the
Russian language. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely that
Russians would make up a babble of foreign gibberish to name something
that they themselves had invented.

There's a Russian word that can be transliterated as berétch'. Its
history can be traced all the way back to proto-Indo-European and it
is cognate with English "bury," though its meaning is "take care of."
There's no birítch to be found in the latest - 2004 - Smirnitskii, the
Russian > English equivalent of the MWCD. Perhaps it could be found in
the Russian equivalent of the OED.

Combination of the Games of "Dummy" and _"Boston"_.

This may be a clue as to why, in the game of bid whist, also called
"kitty whist," the equivalent of bridge's grand slam is known as a
"Boston."

-Wilson