'Bobonkt'

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Jul 11 15:56:00 UTC 2006

Aha...consider two phenomena intersecting: the use of NG to represent
nasalization of a preceding vowel in borrowings from French, and final
devoicing in Appalachian English. That would leave just the "t" to
account for.

Alice Faber                                    faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                           tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                        fax (203) 865-8963