"You can tell by"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 11 20:05:08 UTC 2006

"You can tell by the way I use my wok,
I'm a Chinese cook, no time to talk."

>From a 'nineties indie movie about Chinese-American life in Frisco's
Chinatown, in which the token-black-guy part was played by a
*Japanese*-American guy. Very funny concept, actually. It was only his
pseudo-black body language and hip conversation that distinguished him
from the the other actors.

-Wilson

On 7/11/06, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: "You can tell by"
>
> > > Am I nuts to believe that she said she used X as a
> > criterion, when she
> > > used the construction, "You can tell by X whether a student
> > belongs in Comp I?"
> > >

> "You can tell by the way I use my walk,
> I'm a woman's man: no time to talk. "
>
> The Bee Gees, 1977

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have
found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be
imposed upon them.

Frederick Douglass