UP terms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jun 5 15:01:59 UTC 2006

At 9:34 AM -0400 6/5/06, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>An interesting list. Many of these terms and expressions are much more
>general than just UP, e.g.,
>

>BAKERY: Baked goods, rather than a place where things are baked. "Go store an
>get me some bakery, eh?"
>
>BIKE RIDING: In Yoopanese, it's not always aufficient to say "biking,"
>"skiing," or "snowmobiling." Instead, substitute the phrase "bike
>riding," also
>"snowmachine riding," or even "ski riding."
>
>I didn't check DARE for any of the items on the list, but I suspect that DARE
>gives a much better picture on most of them.

And some are not particularly dialectal.  I did some work on "unthaw"
for a paper I wrote some years ago on similar (predictably) redundant
un-verbs and found a lot of attestations, including some from the OED
going back to 1598, my favorite of which is this ethnoslur on
Dutchmen:

1699 T. BROWN Gent. Holland Wks. 1711 IV. 316 The Men..are cold to
such a degree, that neither Love nor Wine can unthaw them.

But I did enjoy reading the entries, some of which (especially
featuring Toivo and those...er, dose dentals) I can mentally hear in
the voices of Da Yoopers.

LH