Goody Two-Shoes (1924)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jun 26 19:35:04 UTC 2006

Yes, I follow.  I wonder about the quotation below, however.  Doesn't
it have the sense of an overly-proper child?  Although I concede that
it is not explicit in the context; and the OED2 definitions, under
"two" and "goody", don't call this sense out explicitly.

1858 Geo. Eliot Scenes Clerical Life I. 166 Little Bessie Parrot, a
flaxen-headed 'two-shoes', very white and fat as to her neck.

In any case, I have submitted a 1665 quotation to the OED!  From the
same source as "gammar piss-house". And of course, antedates Oliver
Goldsmith (or whoever) by 100 years.

Thanks,
Joel