OT: Google goes crazy

Towse my.cache at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 29 02:19:36 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Bapopik at aol.com <Bapopik at aol.com> wrote:

> OT: GOOGLE GOES CRAZY
> My hits today are way, way off. Yesterday was down also, by a significant
> amount. After a good morning yesterday. my website's activity seems to
> have
> stopped.
> MONDAY:
> 2,330 page impression and 96 ad clicks
> WEDNESDAY (9 p.m.)
> 328 page impressions and 15 ad clicks.
> What the hell is going on?
> About a month ago, I'd type in "Big Apple" in Google and my site was
> number
> five. Now, it's not even in the first 65 pages of results, behind some
> truly
> dreadful old sites.
> When I search for "The Big Apple" + "Popik," my site is on Google search
> page five?
> Even compared to YAHOO!, the results seem off.

[...]

> Did Google just kill my website and not tell me? Also, if Google  Adsense
> pays you "before the end of the month," wouldn't you get a check
> for  May's
> earnings by June 28th?

Google fiddles with their algorithms from time to time to mess with people
who use Search Engine Optimization tricks. A new algorithm could be
responsible for your current statet.

Alternatively, you might have had someone with high mojo linking to you who
killed their link. Google allegedly factors in who is linking to whom and
who is linked to by whom. If a highly popular site dropped you from their
links, you might've taken a hit.

Do you make it a habit to check
http://www.google.com/search?as_lq=barrypopik.com

If not, you should.

If you moved your site to a different Web host, it takes a while for Google
to find you again. If you have a site meter set up so you can check how
people are reaching your site -- whether from links from other people's
sites or from searches in Google or Yahoo! -- you'll be able to tell whether
anyone is finding you through Google searching or not.

Best,
Sal

--

Ye olde swarm of links: thousands of links for writers, researchers and the
terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>