diavlog

Wed Mar 1 19:22:39 UTC 2006

The site Bloggingheads.tv has been using the word "diavlog" to refer
to its video-blog dialog(ue)s between Robert Wright and Mickey Kaus.

-----
http://bloggingheads.tv/?id=46
Added Dec 29 [2005] by Robert Wright re: Nostrablogus Speaks
For the record: After announcing near the outset of this video that in
it Mickey and I were experimenting with a format "we call the diavlog"
I got around to actually googling "diavlog" and got two hits. One was
actually for "dia-vlog" (hyphenated)--a kind of interactive
video-editing game that has something in common with our `diavlog' but
is a very different kind of thing. (Seems cool, btw.) The other hit
led to a discussion in which someone threw out "diavlog" as one of
several possible names for some new conversational video genre that
was only vaguely described and that, so far as I could tell, hasn't
been realized--and that, in any event, seems not to have taken up
"diavlog" as its name. I guess we could spell it "diavlogue" and be
completely original. ("Did you mean: dialogue," asks
Google.)...[12/30/05 Etymological update: bh.TV viewer Jason Kiernan
e-mails that, shortly before this video was posted, he had applied the
term "dia-vlog" to bh.tv's regular dialogues in amendments he made to
the wikipedia entries for me and for kausfiles. He, too, googled only
after the fact and discovered that his coinage wasn't entirely new,
even if its application was..]
-----

The phonotactics of [-vl-] are a bit tricky in English, as I think
Mickey Kaus unwittingly illustrated via this metathetical typo in a
recent column:

-----
http://www.slate.com/id/2136998
In the "diavolg" about Coulter I declare that Bob's recent NYT op-ed
(the one Coulter was discussing) makes "one very good point" but "went
astray in a couple of places."
-----

--Ben Zimmer