A Conversation in Flash

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 6 20:39:28 UTC 2006

"Feather" seems to be "return the stolen goods to" (quite the opposite of "pluck").

   I agree that "pass the grammar" is likely to mean to mean "pass the word."

  "No when you don't mean it" is undoubtedly equivalent to "Yes."

  I was unfamiliar with these terms, and they just may be factitious, created simply to add to the humor of the jest.

  JL

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: George Thompson
Subject: Re: A Conversation in Flash

Commenting on the passage below, Jonathon Green wrote, in part:

"Partridge, _Dict. Underworld_, has _feather_, albeit as a noun, in
Alexander Smith's _History of the Highwaymen_ (1719-20): 'Whilst Stephen
was bargaining for Three Quarters of a Yard of Cloth [...], his
Companion had the Opportunity of taking the Feather, as Thieves call it,
out of a Pin in the Window.' Presumably this meant (EP fails actually to
define it) some form of stolen goods, perhaps, in context cloth.
_Feather_ vb. is not in the DU and I have not encountered it in the 15
months since I put Cassell revised 'to bed'. But here it would seem to
mean to 'take the booty', i.e. to rob the victim, in this context. It is
obviously pretty rare."

I suppose that "feather" here is similar to "pluck"?

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.