inbounds, v.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 20 20:05:47 UTC 2006

>  >From King Kaufman's column on Salon.com:
>
>-----
>http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kaufman/2006/03/20/monday/index1.html
>Players diving out of bounds, getting one finger on the ball and
>calling timeout. Players diving for loose balls and calling timeout
>before they even get possession, hoping for the best. Players unable
>to inbounds the ball calling timeout. It's ridiculous.
>-----
>
>I thought "inbounds" might simply be a typo for "inbound", but "to
>inbounds the ball" gets about 180 hits on Google (with another 32 on
>Google Groups). So it's not an isolated usage.

I've been hearing this for years in sportscasterese; probably much
rarer in written accounts than in play-by-play...

>No hits for
>"inboundsing" or "inboundsed", of course.

...and this is indeed rarer, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it,
at least the present participle.  ("They had to call a time-out
because they were having trouble in-boundsing the ball.")  I'll
listen for it.