inbounds, v.

Chris F. Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Mon Mar 20 20:07:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 14:35 -0500, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> >From King Kaufman's column on Salon.com:
> [snip]
>
> I thought "inbounds" might simply be a typo for "inbound", but "to
> inbounds the ball" gets about 180 hits on Google (with another 32 on
> Google Groups). So it's not an isolated usage. No hits for
> "inboundsing" or "inboundsed", of course.
>
> Whoops, spoke too soon-- here's a cite for "inboundsing":
>
> [snip]

----
The Knights then got a generous buzzer-beater when they inbounced the
ball to Civitello with 00.5 showing on the clock. She caught the ball,
turned, and put up the shot - all in a half second - lifting Westbrook
to a 26-14 lead at the break.
PictoralGazette.com 01/26/2006
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16012039&BRD=1631&PAG=461&dept_id=31538&rfi=6
----

Just saying, there's some opportunity for major mix-ups there. (Though I
admit I have no idea what ball-field-players configuration inboundsing
(or inbounding) refers to.

Chris Waigl