Vals Kilmer (like "attorneys general"?)

Tue Mar 28 13:03:09 UTC 2006

Dennis R. Preston wrote

Of course it is cock-eyed, although French-eyed would be a better
label. The French term (hence the possibility of modifiers to the
eight) indicates the "general" scope of the office-holder's interest,
not a military-like rank at all.

<<<

Of course, dInIs meant to type "to the right". ... Or is "modifiers to the
eight" something new to me, akin to "dressed to the nines"?

                ---------------------

And Jonathan Lighter wrote:

  The subtitle of the 1978 miniseries _Holocaust_ was  "The Story of the
Family Weiss"
[http://library.maricopa.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?profile=cgc2&index=BIB&term=1
94741#focus].  I don't know whether this construction was simply an
imitation of Yiddish and German syntax, or whether it was once also common
in English.

<<<

"The Swiss Family Robinson"
"The Brothers Karamazov"