Re Britspeak

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Wed May 3 18:32:39 UTC 2006

Herewith some material in the context of 'reckon', meaning to esteem or
value (rather than 'to consider, to think, to suppose, to be of the
opinion'). As will be seen, it is generally used in the negative, e.g.
'I don’t reckon that lot.' Wright has it in the Eng. Dialect Dict. vol. V.

1861 (context 1840s–50s) Mayhew, London Labour and the London Poor I
411: I don’t reckon that prison. Every time I came out harder than I
went in.

1918 C.J. Dennis, ‘Hopeful Hawkins’ in Backblock Ballads Hawkins wasn’t
reckoned much at all in Dingo Flat.

1958 Norman, in Bristol Evening Post 27 Nov. in Norman, (1969 B) 42:
They found me a job on a nursery [...] but I didn’t reckon this job
nothing.

1962 Norman, The Guntz 77 I didn’t reckon him all that much.

1979 Frank Norman, Too Many Crooks Spoil the Caper 16: I don’t reckon it
when geezers start larkin’ about on my manor unless I know wot’s buzzin’.

1993 Welsh, Trainspotting 22: You reckon these [sc. opium suppositories]
then, man?

2001 Keith Waterhouse, Soho 25: Went there one time with summer the
lads, that’s all. Didn’t reckon it.

Another use, [1990s+] to know, to be aware of, gives:

1995 Cameron, Vinnie Got Blown Away 4: You reckon my mate Vinnie?

JG