"Chuck up"?

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Wed May 17 17:00:39 UTC 2006

Wilson asked:

> I've just heard an Englishman on the tube speaking of Asian food say, "It
> didn't appear to be anything that would make me _chuck up_."
>
> Is this an ordinary variant of "upchuck," the only American version that
> I've ever heard or read?

Yes.  Completely normal.  I think that *upchuck* is marked over there as
'American' (whatever that means), as you might expect.

Wilson, I suppose you mean you heard this on the telly?  For Brits, as you'll
know, of course, the tube / Tube is the London Underground!  Unless you're
actually *in* London at the moment;  but I'm sure you'd have said if it was
relevant, so I think Barry is our only itinerant member at the moment.

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania