Fake Latin plural . . .

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat May 20 00:11:40 UTC 2006

As undergraduates, my friends and I had fun with plurals
like "kleenices" and "tampices."

And then there's the plural of "process" pronounced
/pro s@ siz/ (with secondary stress on the final syllable),
which I used to associate with the speech of pretentious
pseudo-intellectuals, but now it sounds almost normal (maybe
I am becoming one of those!).

--Charlie

>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-
L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

wrote:

>> I had to make an effort the other day to remain silent
when someone came up with "linii" (context: installing two
different flavours of them side by side).